Allen & Overy is a leading international legal practice with a truly global presence with 44 offices in 31 countries worldwide. The Practice offers a full legal service to a wide range of national and international clients and runs a successful practice in Belgium with a team of 190 people.
Providing a full HR service to our lawyers and staff is a vital part of the business. The HR function in Allen & Overy plays an important strategic and facilitating role in attracting, motivating, developing and retaining the best lawyers and staff at all levels.
Allen & Overy is looking to strengthen its existing Human Resources team with the recruitment of a:
Head of HR
The Head of HR will work closely with Belgium’s Senior Partner, Practice Heads and Senior Management Team to implement the business strategy by:
- leading, coaching and developing the HR team;
- setting a clear direction for all HR operations to enable delivery of the HR strategy;
- providing expert guidance to the Practice on a variety of matters in the HR lifecycle;
- identifying and mapping the talent pipeline and succession plans;
- supporting the business in optimising their resource model and effective headcount management;
- overseeing the analysis of feedback and data, to identify trends, maximise the working environment and ensure a culture of engagement;
- working with local and global management teams to influence the development of performance, recognition and reward policies and programmes, advising on local implementation;
- collaborating with partner champions to design and deliver local diversity and wellbeing initiatives;
- continually reviewing the HR service to ensure that it meets the needs of the Practice.
With support from HR colleagues locally and globally, this role has overall responsibility for the management of the HR function in Belgium including:
- design and delivery of the local recruitment strategy, with a particular focus on attracting the next generation of lawyers;
- embedding the firm’s new performance development process which focuses on real-time feedback and regular career conversations;
- creating and managing the HR team’s annual budget;
- introducing and driving change management initiatives;
- effectively structure compensation and benefits to attract and retain top talent;
- ensuring HR best practice and compliance with HR policies and procedures.
- Experienced HR manager with a thorough knowledge of the entire HR lifecycle, compliance practices and a sound, up-to-date knowledge of employment law.
- Will have worked successfully as a senior HR practitioner in a corporate, finance, professional services, consultancy or law firm.
- Excellent track record of working with senior management within a complex international organization.
- Strong commercial/business acumen with the ability to influence strategic thinking/direction through creative and pragmatic issue resolution.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interface at all levels and particularly to win the respect of the Partner community, building and developing strong client relationships.
- Collaborative team player with the ability to nurture and work in a fast paced, intellectually rigorous environment.
- High energy individual who enjoys both the operational and strategic sides of this role and shows great flexibility.
- Resilient; able to understand that credibility has to be earned in this environment and may take time
- A person of sound judgment, able to establish a high level of credibility in the organisation and act as a trusted advisor to Senior Management.
- Ability to deal sensitively with difficult issues and personalities.
You will work in a dynamic and challenging environment with an international dimension and with highly qualified and ambitious people. This international practice greatly values their unique culture, which combines high-quality client service with a real focus on people and teamwork. In this firm, positive attitude and a sense of initiative matters. There is a strong belief this defines the way in which they work, both with clients and with colleagues.
Working in a team of 7 people, you will have a challenging professional support role and room for personal development. The firms offers a competitive remuneration package commensurate with your qualifications and experience. The package includes a company car, luncheon vouchers, a mobile phone, net allowance, pension scheme, insurance package, free public transportation, a 13th month payment and contractual ‘extra-legal’ holidays.